Quinoa is for the birds



"I'M EATING COOKED BIRD SEED."  That's what I was thinking this morning.  I've studied up on this quinoa stuff and upon learning the nutritional benefits, I really wanted to find a place in my regular diet for such a powerful super food.

MY FIRST ATTEMPT at a quinoa recipe was a real flop.  I followed the directions on the package.  I rinsed it good, and cooked it just as the directions stated. The aroma reminded me of scalloped corn.  I like corn, so I had high hopes.  I made it as a breakfast type cereal with berries, a little brown sugar, and a sprinkle of almond milk.

THE FIRST FEW BITES, I'm thinking to myself, "good texture, a little chewy like an oatmeal or rice type feel, very good for me... scalloped corn."  I kept eating.  The berries helped, and I was hungry. The scalloped corn taste started to make me wonder if I really needed to add any extra nutrition to my diet.

SCALLOPED CORN is okay, but it's not good with brown sugar and berries.  About half way through the meal, I started to feel as if, this layer of scalloped corn had been super glued to the inside of my mouth.  I don't think I really like corn anymore, not for a while anyway.

I CLEANED MY PLATE.  Mom always said you had to clean your plate.  Thank's mom, you would be proud.  I was left with this taste in my mouth that can only be described as an alien invasion of scalloped corn monsters that had taken over my taste buds.

I BRUSHED MY TEETH, gargled with mouthwash, and tried to block out the last fifteen minutes of my life. It was bad, it was really bad.  Why I continued to eat it will be a mystery.  But I'm not deterred.  I still want to learn how to cook this stuff.

I AM REQUESTING HELP from anyone that has mastered the art of cooking quinoa. I thought I could figure this out on my own, but after my first attempt, I know better.

GIVE ME SOME HELP HERE.  There has got to be some good recipes out there, or this stuff would not be so popular.  If anyone has any tips, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks everybody,
Auntie Babette


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family

Dad's Spaghetti